Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Supersuckers

                               Supersuckers 'Must've Been High'

In honor of last nights Biters show, I've decided to post the Supersuckers' album Must've Been High- particularly because it contains the track 'Hungover Together', a beautiful duet with Kim Deal of The Breeders about waking up feeling like shit. This morning I puked my methadone up about 90 seconds after swallowing it. Bleh. Thanks Tuk & co. Really wish I had the foresight to bring some kind of device to record their set- they definitely brought their A-game last night.

The show was at Webster Hall in Manhattan, with the Biters supporting a band I'd never heard of called Wednesday 13, and it was announced as 'with Local Bands TBA'- bands which were never announced. Before I went I performed a cursory Google search of Wednesday 13 and discovered that they play in the vein of horror-cheese-metal and the singer was in a band with one of the fellas from Slipknot (Murderdolls). This information was disappointing on two accounts- 1.) I felt a vague recognition of both bands names (Wednesday 13 & Muderdolls) and had reason to believe that I liked both bands- alas, I was thinking of Demolition 23 (Mike Monroe of Hanoi Rocks band from early 90's) and Exploding Fuck Dolls (Duane Peters of U.S. Bombs and a million other bands' band). Oh well; and then reason 2.) the tenuous Slipknot connection guaranteed that I was going to be surrounded by droves of dudes with those mall-goth pants that look like raver pants except they're black and have red bondage straps. And a lot of doughy white girls. Probably even a handful of juggaloes.

So I walk into the venue and I'm confronted by a band onstage with full zombie make-up on, playing rockabilly. Expecting to hate them, and their parents for procreating, I mutter to myself 'what the fuck have I gotten myself into' and bee-line for the bar. I grabbed a double Gin and Tonic and watched the band from the back of the room. And I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, I love the Cramps and I like the Meteors. But I feel at this day and time, the whole Psychobilly thing has just become so codified and cliched that I really have zero amount of interest to invest in any new bands. But these guys really had some chops. The singer could sing, the bassist could thump'n'thump', the guitarist was killing it on his pin-striped white Gretsch and the drummer held it all together by pounding on the skins like Keith Moon. They won me over. I talked with them afterwards and discovered that the singer is one Mickey Finn, original singer for classic Sleaze-rock band Jetboy, and their bassist was in the  Zeros (apparently there were 3 bands called the Zeros- the obvious one is the 'Mexican Ramones' Zeros who did 'Beat Your Heart Out', there was a Zeros from France, and there was the 3rd Zeros, who were also pretty big and were from New Jersey). They are both Good Dudes. Oh yeah, their band is Cold Blue Rebels and they're playing with Wednesday 13 and Biters the whole tour, so go check 'em out if you get the chance.

Biters rocked. Tuk announced that he had a fifth of Seagrams on the van and offered to give a shot to anyone underage, as he didn't give a fuck and he'll go to jail. They played a few new songs, which obviously rocked, and I learned that they will soon be going into the studio- so hopefully something new will get pressed in the near future.

Wednesday 13- I stuck around for a few songs. Not bad. They were a lot better than I expected. Really catchy, kind of cheese-metal-ly, kind of punk-y. The songs were really catchy and the whole band had a pretty commanding stage presence. But by the time they came on I was pretty tipsy and ready to hit the sheets...

Looking forward to seeing the Biters again this Fall with Social D. Two of the best bands out there right now touring together. No-brainer.

BTW- I got this link from a forum post that has the whole Supersuckers' Discography. You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment